Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Irish Moon

Summary: $.99 e-book price and high reviews made this a tempting read, but I just couldn't get into it enough to finish the book.  Meh.

Irish Moon, by Amber Scott, is a romance set in an alternate dark age Ireland where druid magic really works.   I feel like I should like it more than I do.   I went back to check on the Amazon reviews afterward to figure out what other people saw in it (because it has an average review of 4.5 and the only two negative reviews both said they thought the story was nice) and I still didn't get it.

So, maybe it's just me.  Maybe it's a really great book but I'm just in a bad mood or not the intended audience or something.  I don't know.  But I did notice how just about everyone commented on how much they loved the Irish setting.  So, if ancient Ireland+romance+magic is your thing, then this may be a good book for you.

Now, why didn't I like it?  Let me count the ways.


  1. The editing issues distracting
  2. The pace dragged.
  3. There was too much telling instead of showing.
  4. I didn't especially like the main characters (didn't hate them, just didn't like them much).
  5. The attempted plot twists and surprises were just not that surprising to me - the author telegraphs.   
  6. There's a talking cat, but he's not amusing.  What's the point in that?  If you're going to be cheesy, at least make me laugh, that's what I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment